Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Drive to Philadelphia

The drive up here was interesting.  Props to Stephanie & Bari for keeping my sanity.  I had a lot of trouble with Budget (NEVER rent from them).   We nicknamed the Budget truck Tater Tot.  This is how we rode for 2 days:




Yup, that is a camping chair that I bought from Wal-Mart for $5.  The cab had only 2 bucket seats and a huge space between them.  And since I had 2 wonderful passengers, this was my solution.  I thought about tying rope across them as a seatbelt but since my driving skills are excellent, figured we didn't need it.  Diane (Bari's mother) was not excited about this photo when I posted it to facebook.  Oh well.  We're young.  And dangerous.  And we break rules.


However the drive up was a lot of fun.  Bari kept Steph & I entertained.  Through Little Rock, driving over a bridge, Bari turned to me and asked "What ocean is that?".  So that kept me going...  We saw a lot of fun things and had a great time at our various stops.  Bari made Stephanie try a Boiled Peanut.  This is what happened:





Stephanie is very young in that she still falls for Bari's tricks.  I have learned from our close relationship to never believe anything she says or do anything she asks.  Stephanie learned by the end of the trip...


Arkansas was prettier than I remembered.  However the road systems through Arkansas and Tennessee are shitty to say the least.  The state line from Arkansas into Memphis was pretty cool.  It definitely lifted our spirits.  We got to drive through downtown Memphis which looks like a freaking cool place.  Elvis was everywhere considering it was his hometown.  But the landscape and building structures were gorgeous.  My comrades started to fail and so did I.  I made it the rest of the way to our stopping point early Monday morning in Nashville.  We stayed in the heart of Opryland, literally.  Thanks to Stephanie, we got to stay in a really nice Marriott with her family discount.  However were too tired to do any sight seeing.  I dropped them off with our luggage at the front to check us in.  I drove around the find the best parking spot for Tater.  As I walked into the hotel, Bari & Steph were no where to be found.  The consierge was staring at me and then told me what room I was in.  I was a little confused but was too tired to ask any questions.  I didn't know where to go and he shouted at me the directions.  Very bizarre but he was sexy so I think I did my best wink/sexy walk off.  He was probably petrified.  Found Bari & Steph in my room.  Apparently when they walked in the door, the consierge said: "Mrs. Luke?"  CREEPYYYYY.  I guess they don't get too much business early in the morning...


We rested then got up around 8 to eat breakfast then hit the road.  Drove through Knoxville, TN then made our way to Virginia.  There was a speed limit decrease in VA which I wasn't happy about.  Also radar detectors are illegal in VA and constant signs that state that Airplanes are monitoring our speed at all times.  I was afraid to pick my nose.  Cause they're watching.


Took a stop at Abuelo's in Roanoke, VA to see Keri.  It was nice to have a break but were angry that we had crossed the territory line into NO SNOW CONE LAND.  We asked the waitress if there was any snow cone stands around and she directed us to Baskin-n-Robbins.  Bitch, that's ice cream.  


We were on the road again as the sun began to set.  We went through West Virginia, then Maryland, then Pennsylvania where the roads slowly began to get smaller...  We were all super tired and delirious.  Bari at one point made me chug a 5 hour energy.  We were all laughing deliriously as I chugged it while Bari screamed: "I GOT TATERRRRRRR."  The 5 hour energy tasted awful so I chugged it and chased it with a skittle.  Yup, a skittle.  We were insane.


There was a lot of construction throughout Pennsylvania.  I was tired and was sitting with my face against the windshield.  Bari was making fun of me because I was soooo nervous.  The roads were tiny and I was driving a huge truck with my car behind it.  Bari also liked to make comments the whole trip on how she thought my car wasn't attached any longer...


We finally got to the Brack home and now my home too!  It was like 3 in the morning.  We were exhausted.  Got our luggage and went to bed.  Unloaded the next day to find that my car was only attached by one wheel.  Good Lord I don't know how we made it across the country in one piece.  Didn't get some of my furniture into the loft which was fine by me.  Kellen arrived   in the afternoon.  We were all together!  We went to Katy's restaurant that night so she could do inventory and we could eat dinner!  Time to get organized for New York the next day!


So I've decided to end my blog with a quote of some sorts.  And I've decided to do movie quotes from some of my favorite movies.  Love to all!  Thanks for reading!



"No regrets, that's my motto.  Well... that and everyone Wang Chung tonight."
-Luke played by Zach Galifianakis in Out Cold

No comments:

Post a Comment